While stars of the big and small screen nervously await the results of the Oscars and BAFTAs, there's another competition that's on the whiskers of our nation's four-legged friends this awards season. For the Cats Protection is on the prowl for the country's top cat as it opens nominations for its eighth National Cat Awards.
Open to all living cats in the UK, the competition celebrates the achievements of the country's fearless felines and miraculous moggies. And owners have until Friday April 29 to nominate their cat for one of the following categories:
- Hero Cat – Cats that save the day
- Most Caring Cat – Cats that positively impact a person’s health or wellbeing
- Furr-ever Friends – Tales of friendship between children and cats
- Outstanding Rescue Cat – Fabulous felines adopted from animal charities
- Purina® Better Together - Celebrating the special bond that has transformed and enriched the lives of both a feline and human
The winning moggies as well as the overall National Cat of the Year will be announced at a glamorous awards ceremony at London's Savoy Hotel on Thursday August 4, funded by Purina® and hosted by the 'Voice of the Balls' on BBC1’s National Lottery TV programmes, Alan Dedicoat. Each winner will receive a trophy and three months’ worth of cat food.
The event will be attended by celebrity judges who will present the awards and pay tribute to the nation’s top cats.
The winner of this year’s National Cat Awards will inherit the title from previous winner Nelson, a one-eyed former stray from Seaton, County Durham, who survived near-drowning and 15 years living rough.
To enter your Mog, visit www.cats.org.uk or contact Cats Protection’s national helpline on 03000 12 12 12. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an entry form.