The four-legged deal breaker we weren’t expecting...
Do you own a pet? Would you date, or rather not date someone because they did?
Well, a recent survey revealed a whopping 66 per cent of single pet owners wouldn’t date someone who didn’t like pets. The study, which asked more than 1,000 single people about their dating deal breakers, was part of a wider survey to unveil the truth about our beloved cats and dogs - and their dating pros and cons.
So… have you ever come across the perfect profile but then reading on you discover they don’t like cats? Or been instantly put off by a profile pic of someone smooching their dog? – seems for many of us these would be dating deal breakers!
As we suspected our furry friends are pretty important when it comes to who we date – and it’s no longer just friends and family you need to impress; almost half of women asked revealed to putting their complete faith in their dog's judgement of their dates.
Here are a few other eye-opening results about what the men said…
- Men are almost four times more likely to use their pet to attract a potential date (22 per cent vs. 6 per cent of women)
- Nearly six out of 10 men think their date's choice in pets says a lot about their personality
- Only 30 per cent of men judge their date based on how their pet reacts to their date
And some from the ladies…
- 35 per cent of single women have been more attracted to someone because of their pet
- 27 per cent of women find photos of pets in an online dating profile a turn-off
- 48 per cent judge their date based on how their pet reacts to them
Things get a little hairy too when it comes to mixing dog and cat people. While 97 per cent of those who fancy felines are open to having a relationship with a dog person, only 66 per cent of dog owners would be open to dating a cat person – ouch!
With four of out five singles reported to be pet lovers maybe it’s time to visit the local shelter – your love life could depend on it!
Survey results from Match