How to complain in restaurants

Helen Dewdney, author of How to Complain: The Essential Guide to Getting Refunds, Redress and Results (RRP £15) has these tips:

1. Quote the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 entitling you to food and service that reflects the establishment.
2. You can refuse replacement courses and deduct the price of the unsatisfactory item(s) from your bill. If you are made to pay, write “Paid under protest” on the bill for complaining in writing later.
3. Take photographic evidence of food.
4. Do not eat food you are complaining about.
5. One person’s view of what is satisfactory may be very different to another, so be sure of your claim to redress.

  • There's more money-saving advice in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.