Are you in the market for a fridge freezer and want to maximise your space? An American-style fridge freezer might be the way to go.
You might be wondering what makes a fridge freezer 'American-style' and different from your regular run-of-the-mill English fridge freezer? Fundamentally, in true American fashion, size is the answer.
American-style fridge freezers offer you twice the space compared to an average fridge freezer making them great for large families or people looking for more food and batch-cooking storage. Not only that, but these fridges stand-out as a stylish statement in the kitchen. So if you and your family find yourself constantly gravitating towards the fridge, upgrade to one of these for style, size and other fantastic features.
Read more: How to defrost a freezer quickly
Pros of buying an American-style fridge freezer
You can choose the style of fridge freezer you like so you’re not limited to opening your fridge a certain way. You can get American fridge freezers with:
• Side by side doors to open an upright fridge and freezer - great if you struggle to bend or would prefer to keep certain frozen foods like ice creams higher up out the way of small hands
• Four doors with a double door to the top fridge and bottom freezer - great for compartmentalisation and saving money on your energy bills
• French doors with a double door to the fridge and a drawer style door for your freezer underneath
You can also choose how you want to divide your fridge freezer space on purchase. Would you prefer 50/50 fridge to freezer? Or maybe 60/40 or 70/30? There are plenty of options to find online.
Did we mention size? With huge capacity, you can get American fridge freezers that can hold anything from 11 to 38 shopping bags! Amazing if you’re looking to stock up, visit the shops less frequently and have a hungry household.
American-style fridge freezers are a statement piece in your kitchen, not only due to their size but their super sleek, stylish finish. Get your American fridge freezer in a shiny silver or black for an elegant touch and a conversation starter at parties.
Many American fridge freezers come with frost-freeze technology so you don't need to manually defrost your freezer as you would normally. It'll save time, effort and preserve the longevity of your fridge freezer with the technology keeping your freezer working optimally for longer.
American fridge freezers are also more likely to come with exciting features including water and/or ice dispensers. This fun addition is a welcome treat for the UK summer and with ice and cold water on demand, you won't find yourself running short of supplies.
You may think that this massive appliance is surely going to rack up the energy bill. However, you can easily find American fridge freezers with an energy rating A or above that make it relatively affordable to run for its size for as little as 15p a day. The better the energy rating, the lower the running cost!
Cons of buying an American-style fridge freezer
• Delivery and installation: It's one thing getting this fridge freezer in your kitchen, but you'll also need to consider getting it through the door first! You'll have to measure accurately and make sure your fridge can pass through any steps, doors or obstacles on route. Often American fridge freezers will only be delivered to your door too so you might need to consider getting a handyman or someone strong to take it the rest of the way if you can't manage it yourself.
• Plumbing: If you're looking for an American fridge freezer with all the features, you might need to plumb it in. This could restrict where you can position it as it will need to be near a water source.
• Space: A fridge freezer this size demands the space so you'd need to have a kitchen that will not just fit it, but allow the doors to open fully to make the most of your purchase. In a smaller kitchen this might not be the most practical idea.
• Cost: While a regular fridge freezer is never the cheapest, an American fridge freezer can be an expensive investment ranging from £500 - £2000 depending on the size and features. This becomes much higher again for built-in models due to the customised aspect of the fit.
Fortunately there are quite a few solutions to the cons on our list. You can find more affordable American-style fridge freezers on the market, ones with installation and removal services and even ones that don’t require plumbing. So long as you measure correctly and work with the seller, your next fridge freezer awaits!
Best built-in American fridge freezers
If you're looking for the best statement American-style fridge freezers for your kitchen, check out our best finds below with a range of features, styles, designs and sizes.
Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this page, we never allow this to influence product selections. Why trust us?
Best Freestanding American Fridge Freezers
1. Samsung RS52N3313SL Freestanding American Fridge Freezer
• Available in clean steel or white• Side-by-side style• L67.2 x W91.2 x H178.9cm• A+ Energy rating and Digital Inverter Compressor for temperature and power maintenance• Frost-free• 520L capacity• Water dispenser (no plumbing required)• Unpack and recycle service optionsAmazon review: "First American style fridge freezer I have owned and am loving it. The water dispenser has been a real hit with the family. We have the one which doesn't require plumbing and the tank is easy to fill and the addition of a Brita filter is a nice touch."
2. Hisense RS741N4WC11 Side By Side American Fridge Freezer
• Available in black or metallic• Side-by-side style• L74.5 x W90.8 x H178cm• A+ Energy rating• Frost-free• 562L capacity• Water dispenser (no plumbing required)Amazon review: "Such great value. This fridge freezer has so much room it never looks full. It's easy to keep clean, to see what you have. The fruit and veg draws are large and the in door compartments are really useful. I absolutely love it. Also the delivery men were very helpful."
3. Fridgemaster MS91515DFF American Fridge Freezer
• Available in silver or black• Side-by-side style• L64.3 x W91 x H178.6cm• A+ Energy rating• Frost-free• 514L capacity• Water dispenser (no plumbing required)• Connection, remove & recycle and disconnection service availableAO review: "Really impressed with this fridge, great layout inside with lots of well thought out space in both the fridge and freezer. It's a good price compared to others on the market and looks great too."
4. Haier HRF-450DS6 American Fridge Freezer
• Available in silver• Side-by-side style• L66.5 x W83.3 x H179cm• A+ Energy rating• Frost-free• 446L capacity• Connection, remove & recycle and disconnection service availableAO review: "I am really pleased with this fridge freezer. It looks very smart and is good quality, giving us lots of space to store our food, without being too big for our kitchen. Fresh vegetables keep much longer than in our old model."
5. LG InstaView GSX961NSVZ American-Style Freestanding 70/30 Fridge Freezer
• Available in premium steel• Side-by-side style with 3 doors. 1 full door and 1 split.• L73.8 x W91.2 x H179cm• A++ Energy rating and Inverter Linear Compressor for temperature and power maintenance• Frost-free• 601L capacity• Water and ice dispenser (no plumbing required)• Smart technology enabled for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant• Quiet mark award• Can arrange installation and recyclingJohn Lewis review: "Great fridge, simple to use, tbh thought the door was a gimmic (partner wanted it) but soooo handy! Split door function for the fridge is excellent also. Packaged extremely well but needs at least 2 people to manover off of the polystyrene base but once off the wheels make it easy to move."
6. KENWOOD KSBSDX20 American-Style Fridge Freezer
• Available in gloss inox• Side-by-side style• L74.5 x W90.8 x H178cm• A+ Energy rating • Frost-free• 562L capacity• Water dispenser (no plumbing required)• Can arrange installation, removal and recycling with Currys PC WorldCurrys PC World review: "Don't know how we managed all these years without one! Loads of space, easily organised, can see everything with ease, keeps a good controllable temperature, etc etc"
7. LG GSL961PZJV American-Style Fridge Freezer
• Available in shiny steel• Side-by-side style• L73.8 x W91.2 x H179cm• A+ Energy rating and Inverter Linear Compressor for temperature and power maintenance• Frost-free• 601L capacity• Water and ice dispenser (no plumbing required)• WiFi-enabled• Can arrange installation, removal and recycling with Currys PC WorldCurrys PC World review: "We have 3 boys, so a hungry busy household! They love the water dispenser - it's easy to refill the water and the cubed ice is magic. It's pretty quiet - important for us as we have open plan so our sofa area in the same room. Everything about it is better than our previous fridge freezer".
Best freestanding American fridge freezers
While part of the large American-style fridge freezer aesthetic is to have it stylishly on display in your kitchen, you may want to focus on the practicalities of the appliance and have it seamlessly blend in with your kitchen cupboard. For this you can look into getting a built-in American fridge freezer where it can be integrated behind matching cupboard fronts.
As these aren't so high in demand they are harder to come by, but we've found the best options and services below for getting this set up and personalised to your space and kitchen.
Best Built-In American Fridge Freezers
1. Liebherr ECBN6256 Integrated American Fridge Freezer
• French door style• L62.5 x W91.5 x H207.2cm• A++ Energy rating • Frost-free• 471L capacity• Ice maker in freezer (plumbing required)• Connection, remove & recycle and disconnection service available
2. Fisher & Paykel RS90A2 Built In American Style Refrigeration
• French door style• L61 x W89.6 x H179.8cm• A+ Energy rating and Inverter Controlled Compressor for temperature and power maintenance• Frost-free• 431L capacity• Installation and recycling service available
3. Fisher & Paykel RS90AU2 Built In American Style Refrigeration
• French door style• L60.6 x W89.6 x H179.8cm• A+ Energy rating • Frost-free• 431L capacity• Water dispenser• Ice maker in freezer• Installation and recycling service available