Staying cool while you sleep is a game-changer, and cooling weighted blankets are the secret weapon you didn't know you needed. A good night's sleep can make all the difference to your day, boosting your mood, productivity, and overall health. Staying cool and comfortable throughout the night can become a battle when the temperature rises - and that's where the magic of cooling weighted blankets comes in.
Being too hot is one of the biggest disrupters of a good night’s sleep, and according to a recent survey commissioned by Woolroom, 66 per cent of adults say they struggle to fall asleep in summer. For those struggling to get to sleep at night, opting for natural fibres such as wool, cotton, and bamboo can offer the best breathability and cooling qualities. Wool can help prevent overheating due to the fibre’s natural crimps; cotton will feel cosy, while bamboo offers a silky feel.
The best cooling weighted blankets
• Best cooling weighted blanket for comfort: Kalmkoala by Kudd.ly Therapeutic Weighted Blanket
• Best cooling blanket for allergies: Wool Room Classic Lightweight Wool Quilt Duvet
• Best cooling weighted blanket for designs: Luna Weighted Blanket
• Best cooling weighted blanket for a range of weights: John Lewis Specialist Synthetic Weighted Blanket
• Best cooling weighted blanket for sustainability: Simba Orbit™ Weighted Blanket
Whether you are looking for a cooling blanket at the height of summer months or to help with night sweats - a cooling weighted blanket can help you feel comfortable and at ease. These unique blankets apply gentle, even pressure all over your body, simulating the feeling of a comforting hug while keeping you cool with advanced cooling technology and natural fibres. They are designed to wick away heat, helping to regulate your body temperature and ensure you remain cool, calm and collected, no matter how warm the night is.
Finding the right cooling weighted blanket can feel daunting, given the range of options on the market. To help you in your search, we have created this guide, filled with all you need to know about these comforting blankets. Plus, we answer some frequently asked questions with the help of Emma Hughes, Product Development Manager at the leading home comforts brand Kudd.ly, who offered her tips on choosing the right one for you. So, let's dive into the best cooling weighted blankets on the market.
The best cooling weighted blankets
Best cooling weighted blanket for comfort
The Kalmkoala by Kudd.ly Therapeutic Weighted Blanket uses deep pressure touch for relief from
- Uses deep-pressure touch to relieve anxiety and stress, making it therapeutic.
- Comes with a two-sided duvet cover designed for year-round comfort.
- Crafted with eco-friendly, cooling bamboo and comforting soft mink fleece.
- Comes in two sizes and three weight options, which could limit its versatility.
- Does not come in a single size
Best cooling blanket for allergies
The Wool Room Classic Lightweight Wool Quilt Duvet is a fantastic holistic health solution to your
- Made from naturally antibacterial wool, which is mould, mildew and dust mite resistant, great for those with allergies.
- Effectively regulates temperature, keeping you cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather.
- Its natural and eco-friendly design ensures the wool is double-scoured without any synthetic fibres added.
- Not strictly weighted, so may not be heavy enough for those seeking deep-pressure stimulation.
Best cooling weighted blanket for designs
This cooling weighted blanket from Luna is the epitome of comfort and style. Its innovative
- Comes with an innovative seven-layer design for even weight distribution
- Made from naturally soft cotton for added comfort and breathability
- It's easy to clean - washable in cold water on a gentle setting or by hand, and can be tumble dried on low heat.
- Only the super king size is meant for sharing, limiting options for couples
- Care instructions specify hang drying, which may not be convenient for everyone.
Best cooling weighted blanket for single blankets
This Silentnight Weighted Blanket has been designed to provide a therapeutic hug-like feel and can
- Weighted blanket aimed to reduce stress and anxiety
- Filled with weighted glass beads in equally stitched pockets for even distribution
- Has a kid's option too.
- Weighs only 6.8kg, which might not be heavy enough for individuals who prefer more pressure.
- Only comes in single
Best cooling weighted blanket for a 30-day trial
Renowned matters brand Emma has created a weighted blanket that can become your sanctuary for
- Applies "pressure stimulation" to reduce stress and promote faster and deeper sleep.
- Comes with a cooling bamboo cover to regulate temperature.
- Provides the comforting feeling of being cuddled all night long.
- You can add an Emma Bamboo Cover (150x200 cm)
- One size and weight
Best cooling weighted blanket for a range of weights
The John Lewis Specialist Synthetic Weighted Blanket delivers an evenly distributed comforting
- Filled with a special weighty filling for a cosy feel and even pressure distribution.
- Helps to reduce restlessness and aids relaxation.
- Comes in various weights, offering more choice to users.
- Synthetic materials may not be as breathable or cooling as natural fabrics.
Best cooling weighted blanket for kids
If you are looking for a cooling weighted blanket for your kids, then the Remy Sleep Children's
- Provides gentle pressure for a comforting feeling
- The blanket is filled with non-toxic, high-grade, anti-rustle glass beads
- The removable cover is 100 per cent cotton and is OEKO-TEX certified.
- Only one size is available (120 x 180cm), which may not suit taller children
Best cooling weighted blanket for sustainability
If you're tossing and turning all night, then the Simba Orbit™ Weighted Blanket is here to help
- Uses the weight of nano-beads for deep pressure therapy,
- Comes with a 100 per cent cotton, machine-washable cover for easy maintenance.
- The company offsets all greenhouse gas emissions for customer deliveries, making it a great eco-friendly option.
- Only a single blanket and one weight available
Buyer's guide to cooling weighted blanket
When choosing a cooling weighted blanket, it is important to consider the following factors:
Weight: The weight of the blanket should be 10 per cent of your body weight for optimal use.
Fabric: The fabric should be breathable and moisture-wicking.
Cover: The cover is best when it is removable and machine washable for allergies and hygiene.
When it comes to finding the perfect cooling weighted blanket for you, there are a few aspects to consider. Emma Hughes, Product Development Manager at the leading home comforts brand Kudd.ly, offered her tips and answers to some frequently asked questions on this therapeutic product.
What is a cooling weighted blanket, and how does it differ?
Emma told us: “Cooling weighted blankets are designed to provide the same calming pressure as a traditional weighted blanket but with a more lightweight and breathable feel.
“They include temperature-regulating materials and provide deep touch pressure, a calming sensory technique that mimics the feeling of a gentle squeeze or hugs to relax the nervous system. ”
How do cooling weighted blankets work?
“The weight in a cooling weighted blanket is evenly distributed throughout the blanket to provide gentle pressure to the body. The weight is designed to mimic the feeling of a gentle hug or a swaddle, which can help to promote feelings of relaxation and reduce anxiety.
“Cooling weighted blankets are made from breathable and moisture-wicking materials such as Kudd.’y’s HydroCool™ material to prevent overheating in the summer,” explains Emma.
Who are cooling weighted blankets for?
Emma adds: “A cooling weighted blanket is a great choice for those who want to enjoy the calming benefits of a weighted blanket but find traditional weighted blankets too warm and uncomfortable during hotter days of the year.”
What materials are cooling weighted blankets made of?
“They are typically made from materials that are moisture-wicking, such as cotton or bamboo.”
What are the benefits of a cooling weighted blanket?
Improves sleep: “A cooling weighted blanket can help to improve your sleep quality by providing gentle pressure. This can help to create a calm sleeping environment, allowing you to drift off into dreamland with ease.”
Reduces stress and anxiety: “The gentle pressure from cooling weighted blankets provides comforting stimulation that can promote feelings of calm and relaxation.”
Keeps you cool and comfortable: “The breathable and moisture-wicking materials used in cooling weighted blankets can help to regulate your body’s temperature and prevent night sweats.”
Provides pain relief: “By providing gentle pressure, they can also help to relieve muscle tension and alleviate pain and discomfort from chronic pain conditions such as arthritis or fibromyalgia.”
How do I use a cooling weighted blanket?
Emma says: “Whenever you’d like to use your cooling weighted blanket is entirely up to you! You can use it while sleeping, lounging on the couch reading, watching TV, or snuggling up with pets.”
“You can either lay your blanket on top of your bed or wrap it around your body, covering your shoulders down to your feet.”
How to choose the best summer weighted blanket
Emma explains that there are three different factors to look for when buying a cooling weighted blanket for the warmer months of the year.
Weight: “A summer weighted blanket should be lighter than a traditional weighted blanket.”
Breathability: “Look for materials that are lightweight, breathable and moisture-wicking such as kudd.ly’s cosy, ultra-soft temperature-regulating MicroCool™ fleece material. This type of material can help to better regulate your body temperature and prevent the blanket from feeling damp or uncomfortable.”
Maintenance: “Always check the care instructions for your cooling weighted blanket to ensure it can be easily washed and maintained.”
Meet the experts:
This article contains expert advice from Emma Hughes, Product Development Manager at the leading home comforts brand Kudd.ly and Sleep Expert and MD of Woolroom Chris Tattersall.
Ellen Kinsey is a senior health and wellness product writer for Yours, specialising in natural health and beauty. She lives and breathes all things food, travel and wellness.