- 1kg (35.3 oz) ripe tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil plus extra for frying
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 600ml (20.3 fl oz) vegetable tea
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- Extra virgin olive oil to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas mark 5.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, lay out on a baking tray and cover with a good glug of olive oil and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 60 minutes, until they are just about to char. Meanwhile, skin and dice the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Shallow fry in olive oil in a wide saucepan for 10 minutes.
- Tip in the roasted tomatoes and their juices.
- Warm up the vegetable tea in a separate saucepan and, as it comes to the boil, add to the vegetables.
- Let everything simmer for 20 minutes then take off the heat.
- Liquidize in a blender or food processor.
- To serve, drizzle in the balsamic vinegar, add a dollop of crème fraîche and finish with some more olive oil.
Preparation time: 60 mins
Serve with a crusty bread roll