- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 4 tbsp The Groovy Food Company Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 star anise
- 75ml The Groovy Food Company Light Amber & Mild Agave Nectar
- 45ml The Groovy Food Company Rich & Dark Agave Nectar
- 100ml apple juice
- 150ml ketchup
- 2kg chunky pork belly spare ribs
- In a dry frying pan, toast the spices over a low heat until they smell fragrant then crush coarsely in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan, and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes.
- Add the crushed spices with the garlic, chillies and star anise, then cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend to a paste then mix in all the rest of the ingredients except for the ribs.
- Put the ribs into a large plastic container, and then pour over the marinade, coat all over and chill overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 110°C/fan 90°C/gas ¼.
- Put the ribs into a roasting tray, reserving the marinade. Cover the tray with foil, then cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat is really tender and falling off the bone.
- Meanwhile, bubble the marinade in a small pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Light your BBQ and when the ribs are tender, finish them over the hot coals, basting them with the reduced marinade, until they are sticky all over.
Preparation time: 20 mins (plus chilling overnight)
Serve alongside salad and some seasoned fries for a perfect BBQ meal.