For the sausages:
- 2 raw beetroots
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 carrots
- 1 celeriac
- 1 Bramley apple
- 1/2 a bulb of garlic
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 50ml of red wine
- 2 cans of cannellini beans
- 1 250g packet of pre-cooked brown basmati rice
- 200g of vital wheat gluten flour
- Large handful of thyme
- Large handful of rosemary
- 2 tsp of mustard
- 1 tbsp of salt
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
For the mashed potato:
- 1 kg/2lb 4oz King Edward potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of Alpro Almond Unsweetened Drink
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2-4 tsp mustard (optional)
For the caramelised onion marmalade:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg red or white onions, sliced
- 150g light brown sugar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 125ml port (or red wine)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
To make the sausages:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the beetroots in a small baking tin and drizzle with 1/2 tsp of olive oil, then add a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp of water. Cover with foil and cook for 45- 60 mins until soft, remove from the oven and allow to cool, then peel and set aside.
- Chop the carrots, celeriac and apple and place onto a baking tray along with the unpeeled garlic cloves - cook for 20 minutes until soft.
- Place 1 tbsp of oil into a large pan, then add the sliced onion and leeks with a pinch of salt - cook over a medium heat, making sure to stir constantly.
- After 20- 30 minutes the onion and leek will start to caramelise – when this happens, remove from the pan and set aside. Over a medium heat, deglaze the pan with the red wine and simmer until reduced slightly. Add the wine mix to the caramelised leeks and onions.
- Place all of the ingredients for the sausages into a food processor and pulse until a dough forms.
- Cut 16 pieces of foil into a rectangular shape of approximately 20cm x 15cm, brushing each with olive oil.
- Divide the mixture between the foil pieces, then wrap and roll them into sausage shapes. Seal them tightly at either end by twisting the foil.
- Place into a steamer over a pan of boiling water and steam for 60 minutes. Allow to cool completely and then carefully unwrap.
To make the mashed potato:
- Place the potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil, then continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain well, return to the dry pan, and mash.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes into a coarse sieve and use a large spoon to force the potatoes through into a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the olive oil and Alpro Almond Unsweetened drink to the mash. Season generously and add mustard (if using), stirring in one teaspoon at a time, stopping when you are happy with the flavour.
To make the caramelised onion marmalade:
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and cook gently for 30 minutes, stirring now and then, until very soft and beginning to caramelise. Add a third of the sugar and cook for another 15 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer on the lowest heat until the liquid has reduced and the onions are dark and sticky - for around 30-45 mins. You’ll know when they’re ready when you’re able to run a wooden spoon through and leave the pan clean underneath.
- To heat the sausages ready for serving, either fry them in a pan with a teaspoon of oil for 5 minutes or drizzle them with oil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Place the sausages on top of the mash and spoon over the marmalade.
Preparation time: 2 hour 30 mins
Makes: 16 sausages
Serve with your favourite roasted root veggies and your choice of gravy.