- 225g (7.9 oz) Butter
- 225g (7.9 oz) Sugar
- 225g 7.9 oz) Flour
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 40g (1.4 oz) poppy seeds
- Juice of half a lemon
- Zest of one lime
- Zest of one lemon
For the syrup:
- 60ml (2 fl oz) of gin
- 30ml (1 fl oz) Dubonnet/Vermouth
- 50g (1.8 oz) sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, salt, poppy seeds, lemon juice, lime zest and lemon zest into a bowl.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- For the syrup, put the gin, the Dubonnet or Vermouth into a pan and heat.
- Then add the sugar and juice of two lemons. Once the mixture starts to boil, take off the heat.
- Once the cake has been taken out the oven, leave to cool and pour over the syrup.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Makes: 1 cake
This cake is perfect with a cup of tea whilst watching The Crown.