- 70g (2.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 90g (3.2 oz) sugar (divided)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lime (juice)
- 75g (2.6 oz) walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 180ml (6 fl oz) milk
- 1/2 apple
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Butter for frying
- Dried fruit for serving
- Maple syrup for serving
- Whisk together the flour, 40g of the sugar, a pinch of salt and baking powder.
- Heat the lime juice and remaining sugar in a frying pan over a medium-low heat, stirring often. Once the sugar has melted, add the walnuts and continue to cook until the nuts are caramelised, approx. 3 – 4 min. Remove from heat.
- Separate the eggs and add the egg whites to a grease-free standing mixer. Set the yolks aside. Beat the egg whites on high until soft peaks form.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks.
- Sift in the flour mixture and mix well, making sure there are no lumps
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Grate the apple, using the Microplane Master Series Coarse Grater, into the batter and add vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Heat some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Spoon batter into frying pan and cook until golden brown (approx. 2 – 3 min. per side). Transfer to a plate to serve.
- To serve, top with caramelized walnuts and dried fruit drizzled with maple syrup
Preparation time: 10 mins
For a delicious dessert option, add ice cream or cream to the dish.