- 425g (15 oz) Strong plain flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 40g (1.4 oz) Trex
- 50g (1.7 oz) Caster sugar
- 1 sachet Easy-blend yeast
- 180ml (6 fl oz) Warm milk
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 150g (5.3 oz) Mixed dried fruit
- 25g (0.88 oz) Glace cherries, chopped
- 50g (1.76 oz) Ground almonds
- 50g (1.76 oz) Light muscovado sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Ground mixed spice
- 15g (0.5 oz) Butter, melted
- 50g (0.5 oz) Caster sugar
- 50g (0.5 oz) Icing sugar
- Glace cherries, halved
- 25g (0.88 oz) Flaked almonds or chopped nuts
- Sift the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Rub in the Trex and then stir in the sugar and easy-blend yeast. Make a well in the centre and add the warm milk and beaten egg. Draw the flour into the egg and milk gradually, mixing well to make a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 8-10 minutes. Place in a large lightly-oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Stand in a warm place and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Knead lightly for 1 minute, then roll out into a 40x23cm (16x9in) rectangle. Mix together all the filling ingredients and spread over the rectangle, leaving a 2cm (3/4in) border around the edge. From the long edge, roll the rectangle into a cylinder, pressing the edge to seal it. Form the roll into a circle, sealing the ends together.
- Lift the ring onto a greased baking sheet and then cut it into 12 even slices, without cutting right through, keeping the circular shape. Twist each slice so that the cut surface lies uppermost. Leave in a warm place for 30-40 minutes to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Bake the garland for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- To glaze, dissolve the caster sugar in 4 tbsp boiling water and simmer for 2 minutes. Brush over the garland and leave until cold. Mix the icing sugar with a little cold water to make a thin glace icing and drizzle over the top, then sprinkle the cherries and nuts over the surface.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Makes: 1 garland
Serve as part of a tasty Easter buffet alongside the traditional lamb!