- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 500g (17.6 oz) chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 85g (3 oz) bag watercress
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 100ml (3.4 fl oz) white wine
- 80g (2.8 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 50ml (1.7 oz) milk
- Sesame seeds to finish
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the chutney:
- 250g (8.8 oz) red onions, finely sliced
- 500g (17.6 oz) tomatoes roughly chopped, squishy ones are fine!
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 75ml (2.5 fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 140g (14.9 oz) dark brown soft sugar
- Large pinch salt
- First make the chutney by combining all ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir well then simmer on a low heat for 30-40 minutes before setting aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Heat a good splash of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, then add the diced onion and celery. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms and garlic, then cook for another few minutes or until the mushrooms have softened. Add the watercress, mustard, and wine, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low then cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until the liquid has cooked off. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary then set aside to cool.
- Add the cooled mushroom mixture and breadcrumbs to a large bowl. Stir well to combine, then taste again to check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface, then cut the puff pastry sheets in half lengthways so you have four pieces in total. Spoon a quarter of the mushroom and watercress mixture along the middle of each length of pastry, using the spoon to mould it into a sausage shape.
- Whisk together the egg and milk, then brush it along the edges of the pastry. Carefully fold one side of pastry up and over the filling, then press down firmly on the other side to seal. Use a fork or paring knife to crimp the edges, then trim for a neat finish.
- Cut each length into four pieces, then place on the lined baking tray. Brush with the remainder of the egg and milk mixture then scatter with sesame seeds.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden. Serve warm with a generous amount of tomato chutney.
Preparation time: 30 minutes + 30 minutes cooling time
Can be served warm or cold.