- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- 300ml whole milk
- 300ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 4 eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp brandy
- Warrens Bakery Small White Sourdough loaf, cut into 1.5cm slices
- 100g brandy butter
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and grease the baking dish with butter.
- Place the milk, cream, vanilla pod and vanilla seeds in a small saucepan and heat over a medium heat until steaming. While the mixture is heating up, whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large heatproof jug until smooth.
- Remove vanilla pod from the milk and cream, and pour the hot mixture into the eggs and sugar very slowly, whisking all the time. Whisk in the brandy and set to one side.
- Butter both sides of the sourdough slice liberally with the brandy butter.
- Arrange the buttered sourdough slices in the greased dish, overlapping them at the edges. Pour over the custard mixture, making sure it covers all the exposed bread. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar, then bake the pudding for 25 - 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the custard has set. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Serve with ice cream, custard or cream.