When it comes to recycling, most of us are now pretty good at it in the kitchen. But when it comes to the products in our bathroom cabinet, sometimes it can be tricky to know what we're meant to be doing with them.
Luckily the recycling experts at WRAP have some handy advice to help.
What beauty products should I be recycling?
Here are the top 10 easy recycling wins lurking in your bathroom cabinet:
1. Glass face cream pots (plus the cardboard packaging it comes in)
2. Perfume and aftershave bottles
3. Plastic shampoo, conditioner and shower gel bottles
4. Plastic moisturiser bottles such as hand cream and body lotion
5. Aerosol deodorant cans
6. Cardboard gift set boxes (just remove any plastic windows first)
7. Hair dye and fake tan cardboard boxes
8. Cardboard packaging for your make-up such as lipstick, foundation & bronzer
9. Plastic soap dispensers (remove the pump and put it in the bin)
10. Aerosol hairspray cans
- Shake it off – Before putting plastic bottles in the recycling bin, if it’s easy to do so give them a quick rinse with some water.
- Love your lids – Plastic caps, for example on deodorant cans and moisturiser bottles, can go in with the recycling too.
- First crush – any cardboard packaging for things like make-up, perfume or gift sets can be flattened to save space in your recycling bin.
- Check it out –Recycle Now’s handy online Recycling Locator allows you to find out exactly what and how you can recycle in your home and nearby where you live.
Fast facts about recycling beauty products
- If every UK household recycled one lipstick box, stood end to end they would reach to Paris and back over three times
- Recycling one hair dye box saves enough energy to power a hairdryer for at least two minutes
- Recycling one perfume bottle box saves enough energy to charge two tablets
- Recycling one plastic hair care spray bottle saves enough energy to power a juicer for two minutes every day, for a week.
- If every household in Manchester recycled one plastic face cream pot, stacked end to end they would reach once around the M60.
- If every Welsh household recycled a nail polish box, stacked end to end they would be as tall as 270 Eiffel Towers!
For more great tips for recycling all around your home visit www.recyclenow.com