MEASUREMENTS AND MATERIALS...
- 2 (3) 100g skeins Malabrigo Worsted in Mariposa
- Pair 5.5mm (UK 5) knitting needles
- Spare knitting needle in the same size or slightly larger for casting off
- 2 buttons 2.5cm/1in diameter
- 2 stitch holders
- Piece of cardboard 9cmx5cm/3½inx2in for tassel
17 sts and 32 rows = 10cm/4in square over garter rib using 5.5mm needles.
Beg – beginning; cont – continue; foll – following; g-st – garter stitch (knit every row); k – knit; p – purl; patt –pattern; rep – repeat; RS – right side; st(s) - stitch(es); WS – wrong side.
(multiple of 6 sts, plus 1)
RS rows knit.
WS rows p1, *k5, p1; rep from * to end.
- It is essential to work to the stated tension to ensure success. If necessary change the needle size to give the correct tension. Figures in brackets () refer to larger sizes (see measurements chart). Where one set of figures is given this applies to all sizes. Circle the size you wish to make before you start. Yarn quantities are based on average requirements when specified tension and yarn is used. Different wool may be used but ensure tension of replacement yarn matches that stated in the pattern for best results.
Cast on 55 (67) sts.
Row 1 knit.
Row 2 K6 (edging), p1, [k5, p1] 7(9) times, k6 (edging).
Continue in garter rib with 6 sts of g-st edging on each side until piece measures 28(33)cm/11(13)in from beg, end with a WS row.
Shape Neck and Shoulders
Next row (RS) k16(19), join a 2nd ball of yarn and cast off 23(29) sts, k to end.
Working both sides at once with separate balls of yarn, cont in patt until piece measures 30(35)cm/12(14)in from beg.
Work as for Back until piece measures 21.5 (26)cm/ 8½(10½)in from beg, end with a WS row.
Split Neck and Left Shoulder
Next row (RS) k31(37), turn, place rem 24(30) sts on st holder for right shoulder.
Cont in patt on 31(37) sts only, until piece measures 26(31)cm/10½(12½)in from beg, end with a RS row.
Next row (WS) Cast off 12 sts, patt to end. 19(25) sts.
Next row k to last 3(6)sts, place these 3(6)sts on a stitch holder.
Work even in patt on rem 16(19)sts until piece measures same as back to shoulder.
Place 24(30) shoulder sts on needle, ready to work a RS row. Work in patt until piece measures 26(31)cm/10½(12½)in from beg, end with a WS row.
Next row (RS) Cast off 5 sts, k to end.19(25) sts.
Next row (WS) patt to last 3(6) sts, turn, place these 3(6) sts on stitch holder. 16(19) sts.
Cont in patt until piece measures same as back to shoulder.
Cast on 7 sts.
Rows 1-4 knit.
Row 5 k2, cast off 3 sts, k2.
Row 6 p2, cast on 3 sts, p2.
Rep rows 1-6 once, then rep rows 1-4 once more.
Sew side edge of button band to right front edge of neck opening.
Sew shoulder seams.
Note: A few short rows are worked at the nape of neck of hood for subtle shaping.
With RS facing, beg at right side of neck, k3(6)sts from stitch holder, pick up and k 46(52)sts evenly along neck edge, k3(6)sts from stitch holder. 52(64) sts.
Row 1 (WS) knit.
Row 2 k32 (38), turn, leaving rem sts unworked.
Row 3 k11, turn.
Row 4 k7, turn.
Row 5 k3, turn.
Row 6 knit to end.
Row 7 knit.
Row 8 p, k to last 4 sts, p4.
Rows 9-13 knit.
Row 14 as row 8.
Rep rows 9-14 until hood measures 26cm/10¼in from
Divide sts evenly on 2 needles and join using 3-needle cast-off with each WS held together so that a decorative seam shows on RS.
Sew buttons to left side of neck split to correspond to buttonholes.
Wrap yarn 18-20 times lengthwise around cardboard. Run a strand of yarn through the top loops, and tie to secure. Slide yarn off card and wrap a strand of yarn several times around tassel approx ½in/1cm down from top. Tie to secure.
Cut loops at opposite end and trim to make even. Feed strand at top of tassel through top corner of hood and secure on WS.
As tassels can be a choking hazard, secure extra firmly or leave them off if making for a child under three.
- For help finding Malabrigo stockists and yarns call 0203 318 5173 or visit www.malabrigoyarn.com
This knitting pattern is courtesy of, Wee Garter Stitch by Vickie Howell, published by Sixth&Spring (£14.99, available from www.thegmcgroup.com)
For more fun knitting and craft projects, grab the latest copy of Yours.