HealthYoursHealth

Are your plastic containers microwave safe?

HealthYoursHealth
Are your plastic containers microwave safe?

We love to cook plenty of food to last us a whole week. It’s a smart way to save on food, and make your ingredients go that extra mile. When heating up any of this saved food, do you ever think about how you’re heating it up? If you tend to use the microwave to heat up your dinner, you may want to check if your plastic containers are microwave safe.

shutterstock_694624951.jpg

Recent research from Harvard University has found that a lot of people are heating up their food in containers which are not microwave safe, leaving their food at risk of absorbing toxins from the plastic. And in some cases, even if your container is microwave safe, food is being covered with cling film or being burnt. Both of these can cause toxins from plastic to leak into your food.

These toxins, known as EDC’s (endocrine-disrupting chemicals) can harm the natural order of hormones in your body which can lead to all sorts of health problems including cancer, diabetes, obesity, heart disease and Parkinson’s to name just a few. These toxins are particularly dangerous if they are absorbed by pregnant women, as EDC’s can seriously harm an unborn child.

shutterstock_709313884.jpg

There are a number of steps you can take in order to protect you and your food from these harmful toxins. The first word of advice Harvard recommends if you are concerned about a plastic container is to transfer to a ceramic or glass container. If you’re using cling film to cover your food, try and make sure it isn’t touching your food before heating it up. An alternative, more safer option is to use something such as a plate or kitchen paper to cover your food in the microwave.

If you are going to use a plastic container, make sure it is definitely microwave safe. Check the box for a microwave safe label before using it. Most takeaway boxes are only safe for one use in the microwave, so should not be used in the microwave more than the one time. Heating your food up in these boxes could allow toxins to leak into your food, so make sure you’re throwing them away once you’ve used them.