Tuna pasta bake is a great dinner choice as it’s rich in protein and packed with vitamin D, not to mention it’s quick and easy to make too.
You can enjoy tuna pasta bake two ways, with a white sauce, either homemade or from a jar, or with a tomato sauce. Here, how to make tuna pasta bake both ways.
How to make tuna pasta bake with a jar sauce
This recipe from Sainsbury’s uses fresh penne pasta, but any packaged pasta will do, and contains a jarred tomato sauce.
300g fresh egg penne
500g tomato and herb pasta sauce
3 x 120g tins tuna steak in springwater, drained and flaked
325g tin sweetcorn in water, drained
390g carton Italian chopped tomatoes
14g fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked, washed and chopped
100g mature cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the pasta and cook for 6 minutes. Drain. Tip the cooked pasta back into the pan and stir through the pasta sauce, tuna, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and half the parsley.
- Tip the mixture into a 1½-litre baking dish and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Cook for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Garnish with the remaining parsley just before serving.
• Tip: If you’re not a big fan of fish, swap out the tuna for some chicken instead.
Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this page, we never allow this to influence product selections.
Discover more healthy pasta recipes.
How to make tuna pasta bake with white sauce
As well as making tuna bake with a tomato sauce, it can also be made with a creamy white sauce. Here's how from BBC Good Food:
50g plain flour
250g strong cheddar, grated
2 x 160g cans tuna steak in spring water,drained
330g can sweetcorn, drained
large handful chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Boil 600g rigatoni for 2 mins less time than stated on the pack.
- To make the sauce, melt 50g butter in a saucepan and stir in 50g plain flour.
- Cook for 1 min, then gradually stir in 600ml milk to make a thick white sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in all but a handful of the 250g grated cheddar.
- Drain the pasta, mix with the white sauce, two 160g drained cans of tuna, one 330g drained can of sweetcorn and a large handful of chopped parsley, then season.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with the rest of the grated cheddar.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until the cheese on top is golden and starting to brown.