This year commences the celebrations surrounding The Queen's Platinum Jubilee, marking seventy years of Queen Elizabeth II's reign. There's lots to be excited about including The Platinum Pudding Competition and The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal. But what exactly is the prestigious medal? And who was eligible to receive it?
What is The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal?
The Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Medal is a commemorative medal to mark the seventieth anniversary of The Queen's reign, which occurred on the 6 February 2022.
As of this date, it was awarded to people who work in public service, including representatives of the Armed Forces, the emergency services, and the prison services.
Who designed The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal?
The creator of the design was Timothy Noad of the College of Arms, with the medal consisting of a portrait of The Queen and the Royal Crest.
It is made of nickel silver and features the Latin inscription, 'Elizabeth II Dei Gratia Regina Fid Def’ meaning ‘Elizabeth II, By the Grace of God, Queen, Defender of the Faith.'
What was the criteria to qualify?
The history of awarding medals to mark the Royal Jubilee dates back to the Victorian period when the first medal was awarded to mark the 50th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s reign. Queen Elizabeth II has carried this tradition on since her first Jubilee in 1977.
The criteria to qualify for The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal would have consisted of:
• Serving members of the Armed Forces who have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022
• Front-line emergency services personnel that have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity and have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022
• Prison services personnel who are publicly employed and have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2022
• Members of the Royal Household with one year of qualifying service
• Living individual recipients of the George Cross
• Living individual recipients of the Victoria Cross
How many Jubilee medals are there?
There are currently four in total:
• HM The Queen’s Silver Jubilee Medal 1977
• HM The Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal 2002
• HM The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal 2012
• HM The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal 2022
The best Queen Elizabeth Platinum Jubilee memorabilia
Queen's Platinum Jubilee 2022 Commemorative Spoon
Display this commemorative spoon in your cabinet and look on the historic event of The Queen's Platinum Jubilee fondly. It comes in a display box which would also make it a lovely gift.
The Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen 2022 UK £5 Brilliant Uncirculated Coin
Available to order now and receive at the end of March, this £5 coin to mark the occasion of The Queen's Platinum Jubilee is a brilliant collectors item.
Her Majesty The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Stamp Set
Another popular piece of commemorative memorabilia is a stamp set, and these set of stamps by the Royal Mail have been specially organised for The Queen's Platinum Jubilee.