From now until May 31st fans of Churchill the nodding insurance dog will be able to get a free cuddly toy when they purchase a new car or home insurance policy.
The soft toy is a replica of the Churchill dog, speaking the famous ‘Oh yes’ catchphrase when his collar is squeezed. It is aimed at adults and children of all ages – in fact anyone who loves the Churchill dog.
Lucy Brooksbank, head of marketing at Churchill Insurance, comments: “Churchill Insurance is one of Britain’s most well-known brands, with its famous talking dog character at its helm. The big toy give-away, is due to popular demand. Every week we receive letters from fans requesting merchandise. He is, after all, Britain’s most famous nodding dog.”
Churchill nodding dog facts
- The Churchill nodding dog was the product of a staff competition designed to identify ways to differentiate the brand from Winston Churchill. Staff were invited to suggest a brand character that would do just that and the Churchill nodding dog was born!
- The first bulldog to feature in Churchill’s ads was a real dog – Lucas – but lasted for only one ad because he refused to hold a telephone in his mouth
- Churchill has received orders for the nodding dog toy from all over the world
- Owners include TV chat show host Johnny Vaughan and Terry Wogan
- He is voiced by comedian Bob Mortimer
- In December 2002, Churchill raised £1,000s for the National Canine Defence League by releasing a CD single version of 2 Unlimited’s smash hit No Limits
- Churchill appeared in pantomimes across the UK delivering the most famous phrase, “Oh Yes it is!” and “Oh No it isn’t!”
Interestingly, we spotted Churchill dog toys being sold on eBay from £18.99. But don't just buy insurance based on a perk or freebie, make sure it is the right cover for you.