David Finkle, Asda's new pumpkin carver, has taken on the terrifying task of re-creating the likeness of celebrities who have been voted the most fearsome by the British public. Finkle has created revolting resemblances of Gordon Ramsay, Craig Revel Horwood and Jeremy Clarkson, all who were voted as some of the scariest stars. Each pumpkin took five hours for him to complete, to ensure the resemblance to each celebrity was eerily accurate.
“It was a pleasure to create such viciously vivid reincarnations of such fearsome individuals," David said, "Asda is going above and beyond to encourage Brits to celebrate the holiday, hopefully my creations will encourage the nation to get in the carving spirit.”
For those who will be trying their hand at some pumpkin carving on Saturday, here are some handy hints from David to help you carve the perfect pumpkin!
- Cut out the bottom of the pumpkin not the top as this makes you pumpkin more stable - it will last longer and keep its shape better.
- Try to choose a pumpkin that is lighter in colour as the skin is thinner and easier to carve.
- Preparation is key, be thorough when cleaning out the insides of the pumpkin. The cleaner it is, the brighter it will glow!
- Avoid using wax tea lights as they cook the ceiling of the pumpkin and it can get really smelly. There are now battery tea lights which are much safer. I have used red and green lights, these look really spooky and make your pumpkin the best in the street!
- Avoid using kitchen knives, buy a purpose made pumpkin carving kit for the safest and best results.
Asda increased their halloween stock by 295% this year. “We’re cranking up the creepy at Asda this year. We’ve got pumpkins, bumpkins, putrid purple chillies and green swedes," Charlie Mills, Fresh Produce Category Manager at Asda says, "The demand for the ghoulish is greater than ever, and we expect to see a 20% increase in sales across the board as Brits get in the spirit."
For more information, head to Asda, where you can pick your own pumpkin carving kit.
For more seasonal activities, grab a copy of Yours, available every fortnight.