- Lefties make up about 10 per cent of the population and scientists haven’t been able to explain why
- A surprisingly high percentage of American presidents have been left-handed, including Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and George HW Bush. On this side of the pond, Prince William is our most powerful leftie.
- Plus they are often sporty – tennis ace Rafael Nadal; golf guru Phil Mickelson and top boxer Oscar de la Hoya, to name but a few.
- If you’re a ‘south paw’ (as being left-handed is known in boxing) you’re at an increased risk for dyslexia, ADHD and certain mood disorders, according to a 2010 study…
- But you’ll have lower chances of suffering from arthritis and ulcers.
- Mood-wise, you might be angrier, more fearful and more easily embarrassed than right-handers… and more of a drinker (perhaps as a result!)
- The chances of being left-handed are higher with twins, as identical twins are sometimes mirror images of one another.
- It was once thought that left-handed people died earlier, but thankfully studies have found this to be incorrect.
- Other famous lefties include Paul McCartney, Oprah Winfrey, Julia Roberts, footballer Pele and Marge Simpson, so you’re in good company!
For more fun facts, pick up the latest copy of Yours magazine