Suffering sunburn on your first day abroad, being sold fake designer goods and getting hopelessly lost are the most common holiday mishaps, according to new research.
Food poisoning also features high in the list of woes, along with coming down with heat stroke and being the victim of theft.
Trying to pay with the wrong currency, arriving to finding the holiday accommodation is on or near a building site and having a traffic accident also appear.
Commissioned by First4Lawyers, 2,000 UK adults were asked to name their holiday mistakes and accidents.
Slipping near the swimming pool and having an infestation of some kind in your hotel room are also in the list.
Over a quarter of people polled have experienced a holiday mishap such as an injury or becoming the victim of a crime. And of those that have been on the wrong end of such events, two thirds said they were abroad at the time.
Although nine in 10 people polled said they take out a travel insurance when going abroad a quarter don’t know what a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is. A fifth have needed to make a claim on their travel insurance at some point, while one in 10 have needed to use their EHIC. Read our EHIC guide and our travel insurance guide.
Over 30 per cent of respondents said they have claimed compensation due to flight delays or cancellations.
Qamar Anwar at First4Lawyers said: "More often than not holidays go smoothly and people get a much-deserved chance to recharge their batteries and forget about everything.
"However things can go wrong so it's important to take steps such as having good travel insurance should something happen when you are away."
Most common holiday mishaps
- Got sunburnt on the first day
- Flight was delayed
- Got lost
- Suffered food poisoning
- Had heat stroke
- Had items stolen
- Run out of money
- Had no hot water in your hotel room
- Bought items that turned out to be fake
- Had an infestation of some kind in your hotel room
- Slipped near the swimming pool
- Flight was cancelled
- Missed your flight
- Vehicle has broken down
- Got to your accommodation and found it or the surrounding area to be a building site
- Had no power/electricity in your hotel room
- Been wrongly stopped in customs
- Had a traffic accident
- Got to the hotel to find your room had been double-booked
- Tried to pay with the wrong currency
- For your travel insurance needs to discounted breaks, check out Yours Travel Club