Why Costa Rica?
It offers peace and tranquility, with an extraordinary variety of bird, animal and plant life. The beauty of the place is intense and we really loved the subtropical climate.
How did you find Costa Rican life?
The people were warm and friendly, and the food was amazing. Lots of fresh fruit and veg, rum, coffee, herb teas, tasty tapas and chorreados (corn pancakes). San José has wonderful clubs, café bars and restaurants, converted from old colonial mansions.
What did you get up to?
We took some exciting walks over the hanging bridges of Argenal. They were a little scary, but a unique way to see the rainforest. The ‘ripple effect’ caused from walking too quickly across them was rather good fun!
We also enjoyed a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Doka coffee plantation, where we sampled coffee and bought beans to take home. In Tortugero, we took boat trips from our rainforest cabins along the jungle canals to see alligators and iguanas sunbathing along the riverbank. We also saw an astonishing number of herons, kingfishers and pelicans.
What other wildlife did you see?
At the Monteverde, Carara and Manuel Antonio National Parks, we saw rare butterflies, monkeys and sloths as well as toucans and parakeets.
And what was the highlight of your trip?
It has to be our visit to the volcanic spring spa in Tabacon, where we bathed in the thermal waterfalls, with stunning views of the volcano. This was the perfect oasis in the midst of a wonderful adventure. There was no time to get bored and we loved every minute.
There’s no tax in Costa Rica, excepting the $26 Departure Tax!
- Costa Rica is set between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.
- Lorraine travelled in November. Humidity is high all year round, so you should drink plenty of water to stay properly hydrated.
- Her 15-hour flight was with Iberia Airlines via Madrid (0870 609 0500, www.iberia.com/gb). Lorraine stayed at the Hotel Alta, San Jose; Pachira Lodge, Tortuguero; and Tilajari Resort, San Carlos. You can book a similar tailor-made package through Travelsphere, 0844 332 8501, visit www.travelsphere.co.uk
- A 10-day Spirit of Costa Rica tour costs from £1,279pp, b&b, flights with United Airlines from London Heathrow, 0845 543 6615, www.travelbag.co.uk
- There are plenty of disabled facilities in and around larger towns, but local buses are extremely crowded, so coaches or taxis are recommended.
Find more travel reviews in Yours magazine, out every fortnight.