Could you be eligible for the carer's allowance?

Could you be eligible for the carer's allowance?

What is the carer's allowance?

If you care for someone at least 35 hours per week, you could receive £62.70 a week of carer’s allowance. You don’t have to be related to or live with the person you care for to receive this financial assistance.

How do I know if I am eligible for the carer’s allowance?

In order to be eligible, the person you care for must already receive one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Furthermore, you must fit the below criteria in order to receive the allowance:

  • You are 16 or over
  • You spend at least 35 hours per week taking care of someone
  • You normally live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • You’re not in full-time education
  • You’re not studying for 21 hours per week or more
  • You earn no more than £116 per week after tax and other expenses

If I am eligible, could this affect any other benefits I or the person I am caring for receives?

Yes. If the person you are caring for receives any of the below and you choose to take the carer’s allowance their benefits will stop.

  • A severe disability premium
  • An extra amount for a sever disability which is paid with Pension Credit
  • Reduced council tax (you will need to contact their council to check how this will be affected)

If you (the carer) get Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, you must contact the tax office and inform them if you start claiming the carer’s allowance.

How do I apply for the Carer’s allowance?

You can either apply online at or you can apply via post by printing off and filling in this form: Carers allowance form

Before you apply, it’s important to have a few things to hand:

  • Your national insurance number
  • Bank or building society details
  • Employment details and latest pay slip if you’re working
  • If you have recently finished work – your P45
  • And if you’re studying, your course details

You will also need the following information about the person you are caring for:

  • Their date of birth
  • Their address
  • Their national insurance number (if they’re over 16)
  • Their disability living allowance number if they’re under 16.