Ebay has teamed up with Rhona Meehan, owner of 5 star Scottish B&B Ayrs and Graces, gives you some top tips for making the first move to opening a successful and homely B&B:
- Have an up-to-date inventory of everything in the room and when they were bought so that you remember to replace linen and towels regularly. If you’re looking for a one-stop shop of B&B items to put on your inventory, Rhona recommends eBay.
- Give guests cold drinks and nibbles on arrival. After a long journey, a refreshing glass of something cool is bound to be welcome and immediately help your guests feel at home.
- Invest in quality glassware and crockery- lasts longer and gives guests the impression you made a great effort. Always handwash glasses as they will look their best for much longer.
- Create an ambience with scented candles and plug-in air fresheners.
- The bathroom must have a plenty of quality toiletries. Rhona’s top pick is Molton Brown’s hand wash and hand cream.
- Make sure bedrooms have top-quality white linens. High thread count sheets, fluffy towels and robes are the best way to go.
- Invest in a decent iron, which will save you time when you have a lot of laundry.
- Good knives, a large toaster, and non-stick pans are all necessary to ensure breakfast can be kicked off without a glitch.
- Treat guests as an extension of your own family, but be sure to give them plenty of their own space too. Mark out the areas that are open to them and the spaces that are private.
- Be welcoming and friendly but remember it is still your home. Don’t be afraid to ask guests to take care with period furniture in their bedroom or tell them what time your serve breakfast. As long as the B&B etiquette works both ways, between hosts and guests, you should be on to a winning formula.
There’s more money advice in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.