Whether you’re having a clear out and need to off-load some furniture or crockery, or there’s a particular item you’re in need of, it’s time to discover the wonderful world of freecycle. Freecycle helps to match up unwanted items with potential new owners, for free. There’s a mixture of everything, from flooring to fridges, pet cages to board games, all being offered up for nothing by people in your area.
Signing up is a simple process. Just visit the website and find your local group either by searching for your nearest town, or by browsing the list of groups available. Once you’ve done that, you should be able to see all the items available in your area. To contact sellers, or to post an item yourself, you need to register by providing your name and email address.
Why should I join?
- Whether you’re giving or receiving it’s very eco-friendly, saving items from life in a landfill and giving a new home to unwanted things.
- It saves paying for the council to remove bulky items too – list your items for ‘collection only’ and the person who wants them will come and take them away.
- There’s a great feel-good factor in giving away something you once loved to someone who needs it.
- That’s without mentioning the free things you might get to take home yourself.
Ways to use freecycle
- Post to advertise items you want to dispose of
- Post a ‘wanted’ ad for something you need
- Browse posts to see what others are giving away
- Browse if you can help others with what they are searching for
Or you could try…
- If your unwanted items are too valuable to give away, advertise for free on www.gumtree.com
- Swap seeds and other unwanted garden items at www.garden swapshop.co.uk
- Send your wardrobe cast-offs to www.swishing.co.uk and they’ll give you ‘virtual credits’ to use towards other people’s unwanted clothing or jewellery.