Ease of parking tops a list of 50 wants when it comes to looking for a new home, according to a study by home security specialist Yale. The second biggest concern is what the council tax banding is while broadband speed is a key consideration for a third of those polled. But the issue of home security comes extremely low on the list, below considerations such as what types of supermarkets are nearby and how much decorating is required.
A further 48 per cent factor in how noisy the neighbours are likely to be, while the ‘class’ of neighbours is important to 22 per cent. While 23 per cent don’t want to move into a property which has young children who are likely to scream living next door.
The distance to the nearest supermarket and also what chain of supermarkets are available matter to many, as does the proximity to the local doctors’ surgery.
Whether or not a king sized bed will fit in the master bedroom and if the neighbours can see me sunbathing in the garden are also considerations.
How long or short the commute will be, what colour to paint the lounge and whether the sofa will fit through the patio doors also feature in the top 50 list.
Of the 2,000 people polled, 36 per cent admit the last time they moved house they were more preoccupied about where things would go in the new property than home security.
A further 64 per cent admit they don’t have much outside lighting, 57 per cent don’t have any trusted neighbours to keep an eye on the property and 73 per cent don’t think to put lights and radios on timers when they go away.
Nigel Fisher for Yale said: “According to the Home Office, figures have highlighted that you are almost twice as likely to be burgled in the first 12 months of being in a new home, so security should be at the forefront of people’s minds when moving."
Top 50 moving priorities
- If parking outside is going to be easy
- The council tax banding
- How much it would cost you in total
- How noisy the neighbours are
- How recently the boiler was fitted
- What the local crime rates are like
- Where the nearest supermarket is
- What the neighbours are like
- Do the radiators work properly?
- Whether there are local regular buses
- Broadband speed
- Proximity to the nearest doctors’ surgery
- Is the home energy efficient?
- How far away my friends I’d live
- What types of supermarkets are nearby
- How long / short the new commute will be
- How much decorating I’d have to do before the house felt like your own
- What the removal costs would be
- How far away from mum and dad I’d live
- Changing my address on everything
- Whether I could fit all of my belongings in the new house
- Will there be enough plug sockets (and where you need them)
- Whether the property is close enough for existing friends to still visit
- Whether the immediate neighbours have young children who are likely to scream
- Whether the carpets will need replacing straight away
- Is there enough space for a dishwasher?
- The ‘class’ of the neighbours
- Whether the sofa will fit through the patio doors / front door
- How good the phone reception is
- Whether there are large imposing trees overlooking the property
- If my current furniture will look good in the new house
- Switching all the utility suppliers
- If the garden is a suitable size for the dog to run around in
- How much the building insurance would be
- Proximity to the nearest primary / secondary schools
- How much I’d have to clean before moving in
- Whether there is a utility room or somewhere to put the laundry
- Whether we can get a king sized bed
- How easy it’ll be to get the bins out
- Whether the neighbours can see me if I sunbathe in the garden
- Whether there is an en-suite bathroom
- Whether street lights are going to shine in my bedroom window
- Whether the home security is up to scratch
- Who should have which bedroom
- Whether there are children in the local area
- Whether there is a room large enough to host a house party
- What colour to paint the lounge
- Whether your existing curtains would fit the new windows
- Whether I can easily wash the car near the house
- What colour to paint the kitchen