More pets join owners on holiday to avoid separation anxiety

Are you taking your pet on holiday abroad this summer? More of us are to avoid both parties suffering from ‘separation anxiety’, says new Sainsbury’s Pet Insurance findings.

For many pet owners, dealing with being apart from their beloved pet can prove challenging. Three fifths of pet owners claim to have felt sad when leaving their dogs and cats at home when they go on holiday. They also believe their pets have suffered as a result of this, with 40 per cent claiming their pets developed separation-related behavioural problems. The findings indicate that a quarter of owners believe their pets became withdrawn and sad; 6 per cent reported their pets became aggressive; 7 per cent said that they started to chew furniture and belongings and a further 7 per cent claimed their pets had bathroom accidents inside the home.

What you need to take your pet abroad 

If you do decide you can't be parted, you must ensure you meet the pet travel requirements. Some 13 per cent of pet owners who took their pet abroad were refused entry to the country as they did not have the correct documentation.

Your pet will need a passport DEFRA doesn't charge vets for passports so if you are charged a fee for this (by your vet), it shouldn't be too much. If your vet doesn’t issue pet passports, ask them for the nearest that does, or contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

You’ll need to take your pet, its identity and vaccination records and any rabies blood test results (if you have them) when you get a pet passport. There are certain criteria which have to be met though, and so these will carry a cost. Including:

  1. Your pet must be microchipped. This must be done before your pet gets a rabies vaccination.
  2. Your pet must have been vaccinated against rabies. You must wait 21 days from the date of the vaccination before travelling. The day of vaccination counts as day 0 and not day 1.
  3. Dogs must have had a tapeworm treatment no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before entry.