We know! 'Tis not the season to spend your whole time cleaning. So cut the cleaning chores in half and get back to doing the important stuff – like eating more mince pies and spending quality time with family – using these simple shortcuts and genius cleaning hacks, courtesy of household cleaning brand BizzyBee.
- Clean dusty tinsel or artificial trees by securing an old pair of tights over the nozzle attachment of your hoover and using a very low setting to gently suck away the dust
- To remove dust from fragile tree ornaments, give them a light brushing with a soft artist's paintbrush
- In the build up to Christmas, start clearing out your freezer to make room for festive goodies and leftovers
- Don't leave it until the last minute to get the turkey-sized roasting dish out of the cupboard and find it covered in grease! Clean it in advance with washing-up liquid or a cream cleaner, or for really tough, burnt-on grime, clean as you would clean an oven and rinse thoroughly
- If sap from the Christmas tree gets on your hands, rubbing with milk will help to remove it (mayonnaise will work too!)
- After opening your presents, use a bundle of sticky tape to dab around and pick up bits of polystyrene and other small bits of stray packaging – no need to get the vac out now
- Extra people using the bath and shower can create more steam than usual, so be sure to use air vents, fans and open windows to prevent any mould or mildew build-up
- Always wash champagne flutes and other precious glassware by hand, the heat of a dishwasher can cause them to crack
- It’s never fair for one person to be burdened with all of the cleaning, so share the tasks between your family and it will be done twice as quickly. Grandchildren love to be helpful so ask them to be your little elf helpers for the day
The staples you need into your cleaning stocking:
- Glittery scourers – Washing up after Christmas dinner is an unenviable task, but with the help of a little elbow grease and a gentle but effective scourer to defeat the toughest marks (even on stainless steel and ceramics) you can rejoin the festivities in a flash
- Washing up gloves with moisturiser – Festive cleaning deserves a touch of luxury and these latex-free washing up gloves with moisturiser in the lining provide just that, protecting your hands from hot water and cleaning materials, while leaving them feeling silky soft
- Sponge cloths – Spillages at parties are inevitable, but acting fast is the key. The layered construction of this cloth makes it super strong and absorbent, and it’s machine washable so can be used time and time again
- Microfibre cloths – The secret weapon in any cleaning cupboard, no task is too great for this set of premium cleaning cloths. One is designed to polish up your special glassware, another to add shine to your bathroom and a third to remove stuck-on dirt from kitchen surfaces – job done!
There's more consumer advice in every issue of Yours