- From the ages of 20 to 70, we consistantly own six t-shirts and five jumpers.
- Although the total number of items in ourwardrobes decrease as we get older (starting at 99 items for 18-20-year-olds and halving to 48 for over 70s), 60-something women own as many cardigans as 20-somethings (four) – explaining why mum and daughter duos like Jerry Hall and Georgia May Jagger, and Carole Middleton and the Duchess of Cambridge are frequently snapped in matching outfits.
- The trouser suit, beloved of the 1980s and 1990s, has officially had its day. Women in their 40s and 50s rank this as the most common item banished to the back of the wardrobe·
- When we hit 50, our average shoe count drops to 22.
- The top five items gathering dust in wardrobes across all ages were: 1. high heels 2. trouser suits 3. denim skirts 4. denim jackets 5. leather jackets.
The research marks the launch of 20 free listings each month for consumer sellers on online marketplace eBay