If you're still wearing the perfume your mum or first boyfriend bought you in your teens, it could be time to shake things up with a new scent. The experts at the Perfume Shop suggest some alternatives to suit every taste...
If you wear Cacharel Anais Anais, try Chloe Love Story
Launched in 1978, Anais Anais was the first perfume of Cacharel, blending a romantic bouquet of floral lily, hyacinth and carnation flowers with a woody base of incense and sandalwood. The fruity top note of orange blossom is also found in Chloe Love Story, a clean floral fragrance with a base note of sandalwood and a heart blooming with magical Stephanotis jasmine – the flower of happiness.
- Cacharel Anais Anais is available now at The Perfume Shop in an EDT Spray from £14.99 for 30ml
- Chloe Love Story is available now at The Perfume Shop in an EDP Spray from £47 for 30ml
If you wear Estee Lauder Beautiful, try Gucci Bamboo
Estee Lauder Beautiful is a romantic, tender fragrance filled with warm notes of woods and spices complimented by floral rose, lily, marigold and a fruity hear of Ylang-Ylang, jasmine and orange flower. Blooming in 1985, Beautiful is a sophisticated classic for the stylish woman, similar to Gucci’s newest fragrance addition, Bamboo, a divine exotically floral scent incorporating Ylang Ylang with lily and casablance, underset with deep woody notes in an art deco bottle fit for any modern woman’s perfume shelf.
- Estee Lauder Beautiful is available at The Perfume Shop in an EDP Spray from £24 for 15ml
- Gucci Bamboo is available at The Perfume Shop in an EDP Spray from £49 for 30ml
If you wear Opium, try Black Opium
A controversial fragrance at the time of launch in 1977, Opium was almost withdrawn because of the name. A warm oriental fragrance capturing the mood of the 70s, this perfume features an amber accord base, with heart notes of carnation and patchouli coupled with top notes of mandarin orange, aldehyde, bergamot and jasmine. Over 30 years later, YSL Black Opium was born, with a glamorous glitter-black bottle with fruity orange blossom and spicy pink pepper blended with heart notes of jasmine and black coffee on a sultry base of vanilla, patchouli and cedarwood for an energetic fragrance to accompany any winter ensemble.
- YSL Opium is available at The Perfume Shop in an EDP Spray from £44 for 30ml
- YSL Black Opium is available at The Perfume Shop in an EDP Spray from £45 for 30ml
If you wear Charlie, try Paco Rabanne Olympéa
Revlon’s original Charlie Blue floated into the fragrance market in 1973, a light fragrance with fruity top notes of citrus, peach and hyacinth, accompanied by floral heart notes of lily-of-the-valley, rose and orris root on a woody base of cedar, oakmoss and sandalwood. Paco Rabanne Olympéa is a brand new fresh floral fragrance launched this August, of a similarly feminine scent exuding salted vanilla middle notes coupled with top notes of ginger lily, hydroponic jasmine, exotic green mandarin and sensual base of cashmere wood and sandalwood.
- Revlon Charlie Blue is available at The Perfume Shop in an EDT Spray for £4.99 for 100ml
- Paco Rabanne Olympéa is available at The Perfume Shop in an EDP Spray from £40 for 30ml
You can use the Michael Edwards Fragrance Finder here to find new versions of old classics so you can discover a scent you might not have come across before.
- For more Christmas present ideas, pick up the latest copy of Yours