Exfoliate for radiance
In winter dry skin can build up and cause a dull complexion. Regular exfoliation will help restore the radiance to your face as it sloughs away the dead skin cells on the surface. “If your skin is very dry or sensitive, choose a very gentle exfoliant and limit use to once a week. Other skin types can exfoliate twice a week,” says pharmacist Bao-Tam Phan.
- St Ives Elements Warming Scrub (£4.99/125ml) has a warming action that relaxes pores, with sunflower and chamomile to soothe.
- Sanctuary Radiance Exfoliator (£10.50/100ml) has ultra-fine particles with papaya, pumpkin and pineapple to increase radiance.
Rosacea flare-up tips
If you suffer from rosacea, you may find it worsens in winter. Rather than a radiant glow, rosacea sufferers end up with flushed and irritable skin.
“The key triggers for rosacea are environmental – sunlight, harsh winds and extreme temperature changes are all common ones that can cause a flare-up,” says cosmetic dermatologist Dr Sam Bunting.
Choose a calming, protective day cream designed for rosacea and wear sunscreen daily.
- Dr Nick Lowe Redness Relief Calming Cream (£15.31, 50ml) has arnica, chamomile and allantoin to calm redness.
- La Roche-Posay Rosaliac Anti-Redness Skin Perfecting Daily Moisturiser (£15.50, 40ml) contains ambophenol to strengthen skin and reduce redness.
Treat your skin to a face mask
Your skin will benefit from some TLC during winter, and a weekly or fortnightly facial mask will leave it gleaming and hydrated. Use after exfoliating and leave on for ten to 15 minutes.
- Liz Earle Brightening Treatment mask (£14.25, 50ml) with camphor oil and witch hazel.
- No7 Beautiful Skin Energising Mask (£12.50, 75ml) a peel-off mask that wakes up tired, dull skin.
Make up tips for a healthy glow
We asked celebrity make-up artist Claire Hanson for top tips to achieve a radiant look.
“Make-up bases with a little sheen work well to catch the light and give your face extra glow without looking sparkly.”
Blusher will add instant glow to your face. “For a flush of colour, sweep a powder blush over apples of cheeks, or go for a natural looking creamy blush.”
- L’Oréal Lumi Magique foundation (£10.99, 30ml) gives all-day hydration and a soft glow.
- Natio blusher in Peach Glow (£8.80, 5g) is a soft, natural shade.
- Une Breezy Cheeks blush (£8.99, 3.4g) a micro-fine cream that turns to powder on application.
- There's more beauty advice every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.