- Use the slices of smoked Alaska salmon to line six lightly oiled ramekin dishes or metal moulds. Finely chop any remaining trimmings of smoked salmon
- Drain the can of salmon, reserving the liquid. Remove the skin and bones, if wished, then put the salmon into a mixing bowl
- Measure the just-boiled water into a jug, then sprinkle the powdered gelatine on top, and stir it in. Allow the gelatine to dissolve for 4-5 minutes to give a completely clear liquid, stirring occasionally. Add the vegetable stock powder or cube, stirring to dissolve. Add the reserved salmon liquid
- Mix the chopped smoked salmon trimmings, soft cheese, yogurt, red pepper and chives or parsley into the canned salmon. Add the gelatine mixture and stir well. Taste and season with black pepper – it’s unlikely that you’ll need salt. Pour into the lined ramekins or moulds so that it comes right to the rim. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until set
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the ramekins or moulds and carefully turn out the mousses. Place onto plates and serve, garnished with cucumber slices and watercress or salad leaves
Cook’s tip: For a different serving option, set the salmon mousse in a bowl, then spoon onto plates and serve with slices of smoked wild Alaska salmon – easier if you don’t have any ramekins or moulds!
Recipe from Alaska Seafood.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Use a combination of smoked and canned wild Alaska salmon to make these fabulous retro starters for a special meal
300g (10oz) smoked wild Alaska salmon Few drops of vegetable oil 213g can red or pink Alaska salmon 50ml (2 fl oz) just-boiled water 1 x 11g sachet (1 tbsp) powdered gelatine 1 tsp vegetable stock powder, or ½ vegetable stock cube 100g (4oz) low fat soft cheese 6 tbsp low fat natural yogurt 75g (3oz) roasted red pepper, finely chopped 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives or parsley Freshly ground black pepper Cucumber slices and watercress or salad leaves, to serve
Time: 25 minutes Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a