- Start by making the soup. Add some oil to a saucepan over a medium heat, gently fry the garlic and onion until they start to colour.
- Add the sliced potato and add enough vegetable stock to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil then simmer until cooked. Drain the potatoes and then put in a blender.
- Put a frying pan over heat and add a splash of oil. Add the watercress to the pan and wilt.
- Transfer the watercress to the blender with the other ingredients for the soup base. Blend until smooth, this should take approximately 3 minutes. Add seasoning to taste.
- Put the soup in a bowl and chill over ice. This will help to maintain it’s colour. Refrigerate until needed.
- For the toastie filling, put the English mustard, cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and single cream in a food processor and blend until smooth. If the mixture is a little dry add a little single cream to loosen. Add salt to taste.
- Take a slice of bread and spread over the cheese mix. Add a slice of ham on top, and then another slice of bread before trimming off the crusts.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil, enough to cover the base. Put the toasties in the pan and fry until golden on both sides. Take the toasties out of the pan and onto kitchen paper. Cut into soldiers and serve alongside the chilled soup.
Created by Nathan Outlaw for Davidstow, courtesy www.greatbritishchefs.com
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday
To adapt this recipe for vegetarians just leave out the ham
Watercress soup: oil, to fry 1 small onion, sliced 2 garlic cloves, sliced 1 large potato, thinly sliced 1l of Vegetable stock 3 large bunches of watercress, washed Cornish sea salt to taste freshly ground black pepper to taste Cheddar and ham toasties: 225g of cheddar cheese, room temperature 1/2 tsp of English mustard 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce 1 pinch of cayenne pepper Cornish sea salt to season 1 tbsp of single cream 8 slices of white bread 4 slices of honey roast ham oil, to fry
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a