- Take the chicken and place on a chopping board – breast bone upwards. Using a sharp knife cut through the breast bone and open the chicken, turn over and flatten.
- Using a rolling pin or something heavy, bash to flatten out the chicken – this helps to cook the chicken quickly and evenly, and make the chicken tender.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and place on a preheated, covered (kettle-style) barbecue. Breast side down to start with for about 20 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 20 minutes or until cooked through and juices are running clear.
- Make a dressing by mixing together a good glug of oil and the juice from fresh lemons. Add mustard, black pepper, garlic and chives.
- Check the chicken and turnover – take the rosemary bunch and ‘bash’ the chicken to impart the rosemary oils and flavour.
- Place large handfuls of summer leaves onto the serving board, place the cooked chicken on top and generously spoon over the dressing. Finish off by scattering cherries soaked in your favourite liquor alongside tomatoes roasted with garlic & rapeseed oil.
- Recipe from The Red Tractor BBQ. The Red Tractor BBQ promotion will feature on packs of poultry, meat, vegetables and breads from 27th April to 14th June 2015. To take part visit www.redtractor.org.uk - 150 winners will win VIP tickets to a BBQ party at Alex James’ farm. There are 100s of other prizes, including 49 days of social media and a fun make your own burger app, taking place at www.facebook.com/redtractorfood and via the Twitter feed (@RedTractorFood and #redtractorbbq).
- There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A tasty alternative to burgers and bangers on a barbecue
Large chicken, about 4kg in weight Salt Extra virgin rapeseed oil 2-3 lemons 2 teaspoons mustard Black pepper 2-3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped Small bunch chives, roughly chopped Bunch fresh rosemary Summer ‘greens' – mixed salad leaves Small jar of cherries soaked in Somerset brandy or similar
Time: 20 minutes Serves: 3-4 Nutrition: n/a