- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- To cook the sausages and onions, heat a large roasting tray on the hob and add 15g (½oz) butter or marg. Once melted, add the sausages and lightly brown all over.
- Push to one side, melt the remaining half of the butter or marg in the empty side of the baking tray and scatter in the onions and herbs. Toss to coat in the melted butter then spread over the base of the whole tray and sit the sausages on top.
- Season with pepper, and then place in the oven for 35-45 mins, turning the sausages occasionally and moving the onion around to prevent it from sticking. Once cooked the onions will be a lovely golden colour.
- Meanwhile, put the root vegetables in a large saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook the vegetables until they are tender (about 20 mins) and then drain well. Return to the pan and allow the steam to evaporate for a minute before mashing with the butter, smoked paprika, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once the sausages and onions are cooked, mix together the maple syrup, wholegrain mustard and orange juice. Pour over the sausages, shake to coat and return to the oven for 5 mins until sticky.
- Serve the sticky sausages with the golden onions and spoonfuls of the smoky mash.
Recipe from www.goldfromflora.com
Need a hearty and filling meal for dinner? Then these sticky sausages and smoky mash may be just for you!
For the sausages and onions: 20g (¾oz) butter or marg 8 good-quality, thick pork sausages 3 onions, peeled and sliced a few sprigs of thyme, sage and/or rosemary 2 tbsp maple syrup 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard, (optional) 1 tbsp fresh orange juice For the mash: 1kg (2lb4oz) mixed root vegetables (such as parsnip, swede, sweet potato, potatoes and carrot, peeled and cut into chunks) 20g (¾oz) butter or marge 1 tsp smoked paprika
Time: 15 mins Serves: 4 Nutrition: 629 cals Fat 31g (sat fat 13g)