- To prepare the pickled vegetables; put all the vegetables into a large bowl, add the salt, mix gently, cover and set aside for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- To prepare the rub; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Transfer the vegetables into a large sieve and rinse under cold running water. Allow the liquid to drain into a large bowl for 10 minutes. Reserve 30ml/2tbsp of the collected liquid.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the vinegar and sugar. Toss gently and set aside for 30 minutes for the flavours to develop. Add the reserve liquid and mint. Season and stir.
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan. Brush the steaks with the oil on both sides with the rub and cook for your preferred cooking time. Alternatively, cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill.
- Serve in ciabatta rolls dressed with salad leaves and topped with the pickled vegetables.
Recipe from www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This recipe also works very well with thin cut steaks. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side
450g (1lb) picanha or sirloin steaks 1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil For the Rub: 3tbsp light brown sugar 1tbsp sea salt 2tbsp ground paprika 1tbsp cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning For the Pickled Vegetables: ¼ white cabbage, finely shredded 7 radishes, thinly sliced ½ small cucumber, deseeded and cut into matchsticks 1tsp sea salt 2tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar ½ tsp caster sugar 1tbsp freshly chopped mint Salad leaves, to garnish
Time: 25 mins Serves: 4-6 Nutrition: n/a