- Mash together the cheese, mustard, yolk, spring onions and a grind of black pepper.
- In a saucepan melt the butter then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Gradually pour in the stout then the milk stirring all the time until its all incorporated then add the cheese mixture and continue to stir until it is melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the grill to hot and line the grill pan with foil. Toast the bread on both sides then spread thickly with the cheese mixture.
- Grill until bubbling and browned, and top with half a spring onion to serve.
Recipe from www.lovethecrunch.co.uk
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Spring onions and cheese are a winning combination and go together perfectly in this indulgent rarebit recipe that really packs a punch
120g (4 1/2 oz) Godminster Cheddar, grated 1tsp English mustard 1 egg yolk 4 spring onions, sliced 30g (1oz) butter 30g (1oz) plain flour 100ml (4floz) beer or stout 100ml (4floz) milk 4 slices good quality bread such as Sourdough 2 spring onions, sliced in half lengthways, to serve Salt and pepper (to season)
Time: 5 mins Serves: 2 Nutrition: n/a