- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth to the onions and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, orange juice, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, and chili powder into the liquid. Bring the soup to a simmer, and cook until heated through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Working in batches, pour soup into a blender until the blender’s pitcher is no more than half full. Puree soup until completely smooth, returning pureed soup to pot. Continue until all soup is blended. Alternately, use a stick blender to puree the soup in the pot.
- Warm the pureed soup over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from The Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookbook © 2014 by Stephanie Pedersen, Sterling Publishing Co. Photography by Guy Ambrosino (£9.99, available from Amazon).
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Light and nutritious, this pumpkin soup freezes well, too—if you happen to have any leftovers
1 tablespoon butter 1 large onion, chopped 1 or 2 large garlic cloves, minced 2 cups strong chicken or vegetable broth 2 (14 ounce) cans pumpkin puree 1 (14 ounce) can regular coconut milk 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice 2 teaspoons ground ginger 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice 2 teaspoons chili powder Optional garnish: chopped Chives, parsley, cilantro or Pumpkin seeds
Time: 20 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a