- Sterilise jars and lids by placing in the dishwasher on a short cycle, in the oven for 5 minutes or in a basin of boiling water.
- Place the rowan berries and apples with 225g of the sugar into a large pot or jelly pan and add enough water to cover.
- Bring to a fast boil and gently boil for 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture through muslin or a jelly bag overnight.
- In the morning, weigh the strained mixture and place back into a large pot. Add the same weight of sugar as the strained liquid to the pot. Bring to a boil again and boil for 5 minutes.
- Whilst still hot, pour into the sterilised jars to set.
- Label and store until needed.
Recipe devised for Yours by Neil Forbes, an ambassador chef for 2014 Food & Drink campaign with www.eat-scottish.co.uk.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Rowan Jelly is an autumnal classic, perfect on hot buttered toast for a breakfast treat or used in savoury dishes such as roast Scotch Lamb or grouse
900g rowan berries 700g apples, roughly chopped (skin and all) 750g unrefined caster sugar (you may need extra)
Time: 35 minutes Serves: 18 8oz jars Nutrition: n/a