- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grab a small heatproof pie dish or ramekin and pour the oil into it. Then smash the garlic to separate the cloves (they don’t need peeling) and add to the oil. Roast the garlic in the oven for 20 minutes, then leave to cool.
- Transfer the flour into a mixing bowl and mix in the sugar and salt. Mix the yeast with the warm water until it dissolves. Add the yeasty water to the flour, holding about 1⁄4 of it back. You may not need all the water, but can always add more if required.
- Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes until its silky soft and elastic. Cover the bowl with a clean tea-towel and leave in a warm place for about an hour until the dough doubles in size and then knock back.
- Chop the thyme as fine as possible and squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skin, then squash to a pure?e. Mix the thyme, black pepper and garlic paste into the risen dough and knead again until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture into 3 equal parts and roll each into a sausage shape on a floured surface. Press all three together at one of their ends, using a little water if required and then plait the dough together by alternately laying the right and left sides into the middle and tuck the ends under to secure the plait. Squeeze them together at the bottom and again seal with a little water.
- Transfer the plait to a baking tray and leave to prove again at room temperature for about half an hour. Turn the oven up to 180°C. Brush gently with beaten egg.
- Bake the plait into the oven for 15-20 minutes until it is cooked inside and the bread sounds hollow when tapped from underneath.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Recipe from Kenwood's Disaster Chef 2014.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Serve with a selection of olives, cured meats and cheeses
Approx. 300-350ml lukewarm water 2 tsp of dried yeast 1?2 tsp of sugar 500g strong white flour (‘bread flour') 1 tsp of sea salt 1 large bulb of garlic Bunch of fresh thyme 1 tbsp of cracked black pepper 150ml olive oil 1 egg, beaten
Time: 45 mins Serves: 6 Nutrition: n/a