- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 26cm diameter springform tin and sprinkle with flour.
- Beat the butter, 125g sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt with the whisk of a mixer until creamy.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Stir in the milk. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Spoon half the mixture into the tin and smooth out. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until forming stiff peaks, adding the icing sugar a tablespoon at a time.
- Spoon half the mixture on top of the batter in the tin, leaving a 1cm margin around the edge. Bake for 30 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge and carefully remove the cake from the tin. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Wash and dry the tin, then repeat with the remaining batter and meringue.
- Place the rhubarb, cherry juice and 125g sugar in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 mins, until the rhubarb begins to fall apart.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.In a bowl, mix the yogurt, 50g sugar and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Squeeze out the gelatine and dissolve in a saucepan set over a low heat.
- Stir in 3 tbsp of the yogurt mixture. Stir this into the remaining yogurt mixture. Stir in the rhubarb and chill for 10 mins. Stir in the cream.
- Place 1 cake on a cake plate and surround with a cake ring. Spread over the rhubarb cream. Gently press the other cake on top. Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Remove the cake ring and dust with icing sugar.
- Recipe from recipes-plus.co.uk
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Try this twist on the classic lemon meringue
125g (41/2oz) butter, softened 300g (101/2oz) caster sugar 3 tsp vanilla extract 4 eggs, separated 5-6 tbsp semi-skimmed milk 150g (5oz) plain flour 2 heaped tsp baking powder 200g (7oz) icing sugar, sifted, plus extra for dusting 600g (1lb 4oz) rhubarb, cut into 1cm slices 3 tbsp cherry nectar 300g (101/2oz) full-fat natural yogurt 8 leaves gelatine, soaked in cold water 200ml (7floz) whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks
Time: 45 mins Serves: 16 Nutrition: n/a