- Start by making the marinade: In a large container, mix the beef pieces, water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, peppercorns and bouquet garni together and pour the cooled red wine over them. Cover with clingfilm, refrigerate and leave to marinate for 12 hours.
- Place a colander over a large bowl and put the beef mixture in it to drain off the marinade. Leave for a minimum of 1 hour to remove excess liquid. Separate the beef, vegetables and herbs and pat dry with kitchen paper. Reserve the liquid.
- Season the beef with the salt
- On a high heat, in a large, heavy-based frying pan, sear and brown the beef pieces in the oil for 4 minutes on each side. With a slotted spoon, transfer the beef pieces to a tray, set aside and roll in the flour.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the drained vegetables and herbs to the frying pan and saute? for 5 minutes, until lightly coloured.
- Place all the ingredients into a pressure cooker including the reserved liquid and top with the pieces of beef.
- Cover with the lid and place on a high heat on pressure setting 2.
- Once the steam begins to come out of the pressure valve, turn the hob down to its lowest setting and set your timer for 35 minutes while you cook the garnish.
- After the timer has finished, remove from the heat and turn the valve to the release setting. Wait for all the steam to die down before you remove the lid.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and thickness with a teaspoon of diluted cornflour if necessary.
Recipe from Raymond Blanc: Pressure Cooker recipe collection.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A French classic from celebrity chef, Raymond Blanc
For the marinade: 900g ox cheek, shin or blade, cut into even 4cm pieces 750ml full bodied red wine, ie. Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon, reduced by one third to 500ml, cooled to room temp 200ml water or brown chicken stock 2 medium carrots, cut into slices 2cm thick 1 stalk celery, peeled, cut into slices 1 cm thick 1 medium onion, peeled, cut into 8 through the root 9 garlic cloves, peeled left whole 1?2 tsp black peppercorns, crushed 1 bouquet garni (a few parsley stalks, 4 bay leaves, 6 sprigs of thyme, tied together) For searing the beef and vegetables: 4 pinches sea salt 2 pinches black pepper, freshly ground 2 tbsp vegetable oil 3 tbsp plain flour Pressure cooker
Time: 20 minutes Serves: 4-6 Nutrition: n/a