- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Line the bottom of a 26cm diameter springform tin with baking paper. Beat the egg whites and 3 tbsp water until forming stiff peaks, gradually adding the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Mix together the flour, baking powder and ground hazelnuts and fold into the egg mixture. Spoon into the tin and smooth out. Bake for 15-20 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Set aside 15 raspberries for decoration and place the remainder in a blender along with the icing sugar and liqueur. Purée, then press through a sieve. Squeeze out the gelatine and dissolve in a saucepan set over a low heat. Stir in a little of the raspberry purée, then stir this into the remaining purée. Whip 200ml cream until forming stiff peaks and fold into the purée.
- Turn the cake out of the tin and peel away the baking paper. Cut in half horizontally by inserting a knife into the centre and rotating the cake around it. Place the bottom half on a cake plate and place a cake ring around it. Spread over the raspberry cream and gently press the second cake on top. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Heat a frying pan and dry fry the chopped hazelnuts until golden. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Whip 400ml cream until forming stiff peaks. Spoon half into a piping bag fitted with a large, plain nozzle. Remove the cake ring and spread the remaining cream over the top and sides of the cake. Pipe tufts of cream around the top edge of the cake.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle and pipe over the cream tufts and down the sides of the cake. Deocrate with the chopped hazelnuts and reserved raspberries.
- Recipe from recipes-plus.co.uk
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
This tangy and creamy cake is perfect for serving at a summer party!
3 eggs, separated 125g (4 1/2 oz)caster sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 100g (4oz) plain flour 2 tsp baking powder 50g (2oz) ground hazelnuts 500g (1lb 2oz) raspberries 100g (4oz) icing sugar 5 tbsp raspberry liqueur (such as Chambord) 8 leaves gelatine, soaked in cold water 600ml (1pt) whipping cream 2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts 50g (2oz) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
Time: 60 mins Serves: 16 Nutrition: n/a