- Prepare the ramen noodles; bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes or according to the packet instructions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Add the eggs and seasoning, stir gently until combined. Line 8 shallow round dishes (10-13cm/4-5 inches) with cling film and divide the noodles equally between them.
- Cover with more cling film and weigh down to flatten and mould the noodles. Chill for 20 minutes.
- To prepare the tonkatsu sauce; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Put the mince in a large bowl and add 45ml/3tbsp of the tonkatsu sauce. Using slightly damp hands shape the mixture into four 9cm/3½inch burgers. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Cook the burgers under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for 6-8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked or until any meat juices run clear.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Carefully remove the ramen buns from their moulds. Cook each noodle `bun’ for 3 minutes on each side until crisp. Transfer to a large plate.
- Serve the burgers in the noodle buns with baby spinach leaves, grated carrot and extra tonkatsu sauce.
- Recipe from www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk.
- There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Give your usual hamburger a real surpriring yet wonderfully tasty twist
450g/1lb beef mince 2 x 100g packs instant ramen noodles, flavour sachets discarded 2 eggs, beaten Salt and freshly milled black pepper 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil For the Tonkatsu Sauce: 5ml/1tsp dry mustard powder 200ml/7 fl oz tomato ketchup 60ml/4tbsp Worcestershire sauce 20ml/4tsp light soy sauce 1.25cm/1/2 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and grated 1 small red onion, peeled and grated To serve: Baby spinach leaves Grated carrot
Time: 25-30 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a