- Rinse quinoa well with cold water. Place rinsed quinoa and water in pot (covered) and cook covered on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes until soft.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the onions, garlic and vegetable oil in covered soup pot and sauté on medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly caramelized.
- Add celery and carrots to the soup pot and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the bell pepper, courgette, aubergine, tomatoes, and one cup water or vegetable stock to soup pot. Stir in cumin, chilli powder, coriander, cayenne and oregano to the soup pot.
- Simmer covered for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cooked quinoa and salt to taste. Top with coriander and grated cheese, if desired, and serve immediately.
Recipe from Quinola
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A healthy, fibrous winter warmer
64g quinoa80% pearl and 20% black quinoa mix 340g cup water 380g chopped onions 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed 1 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 celery stalk, chopped 1 carrot, cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch thick slices 190g bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces 190g cubed courgette 1 aubergine 260g undrained chopped fresh or canned tomatoes 128g cup water or vegetable stock 2 teaspoons ground cumin ½ teaspoon chilli powder 1 teaspoon ground coriander Pinch of cayenne 2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano Salt Chopped coriander Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Time: 20-30 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: n/a