- Heat the wok and add the oil. Throw in the sliced white onions, egg and prawns and give it a quick stir. Add the chilli paste in and stir fry for a couple of minutes to release the aromatics.
- Next gradually add the noodles and mix it in. Add the fish sauce, sugar, salt, sambal and vinegar and make sure you keep moving the noodles around so all the flavours are thoroughly blended in. Finally add the beansprouts, carrots, spring onions, peppers and stir fry for another minute.
- Transfer over to serving plates and finish off by garnishing with the lime wedges and sprinkle the red chillies on top.
To make the pickle:
- Peel carrots and cucumber and cut into julienne strips 5cm long
- Place the carrots and cucumber into storage jar
- Mix all the pickling vinegar ingredients together
- Pour over the carrots and cucumber and refrigerate
- Pickles will be ready to eat in 2-3 hours. It can be kept refrigerated for up to 1 week
- Recipe from Rainbo
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
The actual name means ‘cut with scissors' because the noodles are cut with scissors after it has been cooked by street vendors in Burma
200g flat rice noodles 2 tablespoon vegetable oil ¼ sliced white onion ½ sliced red pepper ½ sliced green pepper ½ sliced carrot 2 sliced spring onion 10 raw de-shelled king prawns 1 egg beaten Handful of beanspouts 2 tablespoon chilli bean paste 2 tablespoon white sugar 2 tablespoon fish sauce 1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoon Sarson's malt vinegar 2 tablespoon sambal Garnish: 2 wedges lime 1 medium sliced red chilli Carrot & cucumber pickles : 300g carrots 300 g cucumber 400ml sarson's pickling vinegar 4 tbsp caster sugar Juice of half a lime 2 teaspoons of salt
Time: 20 minutes Serves: 2 Nutrition: n/a