For the sponge:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°FGas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 30cm lipped baking tray and cover with baking paper.
- Put the softened butter, golden syrup and dulce de leche in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer or wooden spoon, cream together for around five minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Add the eggs into the butter and continue to mix for another two minutes or until completely smooth.
- Sift in the flour and mix for one more minute.
- Spoon your sponge mix onto the prepared baking tray and spread out until it is 1cm thick.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once the sponge is cool, place a 20cm round cake tin on top of it and cut around to form the base of the Baked Alaska.
For the Italian meringue:
- Put the sugar into a small saucepan over a low heat and slowly add the water. Make sure no sugar has come up the sides of the pan as this will make the sugar crystalize.
- Put the egg whites into a mixing bowl and, using an electric hand mixer, whisk on a slow speed.
- Once the sugar has reached 116°C, increase the speed of whisking to create soft peaks in your egg whites.
- Once the sugar has reached 121°C, pour it slowly on to the egg whites while still whisking on a high speed.
- Continue to whisk until the meringue has cooled to room temperature, then put in a piping bag with a plain 10mm nozzle.
- Place the large sponge disk on baking paper and place six balls of Häagen-Dazs Pralines & Cream Häagen-Dazs ice cream evenly on the top of the sponge, leaving a 2cm border around the edge.
- Pipe the meringue all the way around to completely cover the ice cream and place in the freezer until you are ready to cook and serve.
- When ready to cook, preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Place the baking sheet on the bottom shelf for 3 minutes, or until the meringue is nice and browned. Slice carefully and serve.
- Dan Doherty of London’s Duck & Waffle is working with Häagen-Dazs this summer to launch the Master Ice Cream Academy. To be the first to find out more, follow Häagen-Dazs on Facebook at Facebook.com/haagendazsuk, or on Twitter and Instagram at @haagendazsuk
- There are more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
A deliciously decadant dessert that is sure to impress
For the sponge: 75g (3oz) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing 30g (1oz) golden syrup Tin of dulce de leche 2 eggs 100g (4oz) self-raising flour For the Italian meringue: 225g (8oz) caster sugar 150ml (5floz) water 90g (4oz) egg whites For the ice cream centre: Häagen-Dazs Pralines & Cream ice cream
Time: 40 mins Serves: 8 Nutrition: n/a