- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the egg and water and knead lightly until evenly mixed. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 190?C/gas mark 5.
- Cut the dough into 2 pieces and roll each piece into a rectangle 30 x 25 cm (12 x 10 inches).
- Mix together the cheese with the egg then spread the mixture over one piece of rolled pastry. Carefully spoon the plum chutney over the cheese and cover with the remaining piece of pastry.
- Roll gently together then cut into 12 oblong pieces approximately 2.5 x 25cm (1 x 10 inch). Twist each strip to make a spiral and place on a baking sheet.
- Glaze with beaten egg and sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optional). Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm or cold with cooked ham, salad and some extra chutney.
Recipe from The English Provender Co.
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Get the grandchildren involved in making this ideal picnic fodder
250g plain flour 175g butter, softened 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 tbsp water For the filling: 175g cheddar cheese, grated 1 egg, lightly beaten 4 tbsp English Provender Co. Plum and Bramley Apple Chutney For the glaze: 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Time: 20 minutes Serves: 12 large twists Nutrition: n/a