- Prepare peaches by removing pits and finely chopping them. Place in saucepan; add 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Place prepared peaches in dampened jelly bag or several layers of dampened cheesecloth. Let juice drip, undisturbed, for at least 2 hours or overnight. Note: Squeezing the jelly bag may cause jelly to be cloudy.
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside. Measure juice and other ingredients. If you need more juice, simply add water to fruit pulp and extract.
- Combine prepared juice with lemon juice and sugar in a 6-or 8-quart saucepan. Add up to 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouches. Continue hard boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Centre lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when centre is pressed.
Recipe from Ball Preserving
There's more recipes in every issue of Yours magazine, out every fortnight on a Tuesday.
Add pretty packaging to your jam jar to make a lovely homemade gift for a friend
7x 250ml Jars 3-1/2 cups prepared juice (about 11 medium) 1/3 cup lemon juice 2 3-oz pouches liquid pectin 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine, optional 7-1/2 cups sugar 7 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
Time: 30 mins Serves: 7 jars Nutrition: n/a